BIG DIAMOND SPEEDWAY
2016 ROADRUNNER RULES
The purpose of this division is to create a controlled, economical,
competitive form of racing. The primary concern is to keep the cars as stock as possible to control costs. A claim rule of $2,500 will be put in place to deter the participants from spending excessive amounts of money on their cars.
Big Diamond Speedway has attempted to establish as fair and comprehensive rules as possible. Should certain situations arise that were unknown or unanticipated, Big Diamond Speedway will resolve the matter and come forward with a decision as soon as practical (usually by the following week).
Please remember that the division was created as a fun, economical way of racing. Do not force the track officials to make harsh decisions.
CAR AND BODY
• Any 1970 to 1987 sedan is eligible NO CAMAROS
• Minimum stock wheelbase allowed: 108″
• All doors must be welded and bolted
• No extra bracing anywhere of any kind. No extra frame supports allowed.
* Uni- body cars have the option to “X” the trunk area for support.
• All glass must be removed
• High Back Aluminum Racing Seats Only. Must be mounted to roll cage.
• 1/8″ Thick steel plate to be welded to the floor under the drivers seat
• A complete firewall must seal the tank area from the driver’s compartment. Rear seat must be removed and replaced with a steel firewall of twenty (20) gauge
steel or heavier. No opening of any kind permitted. NO ALUMINUM.
• Complete bumper-to-bumper steel uni-body must be retained.
• The stock steel unaltered floor pan, firewalls, trunk, trunk floor, and rear wheel wells must be retained. No sectioning, channeling, or chopping allowed.
• Inner front wheel wells must be removed.
• Cars must be strictly stock. No cutting, channeling, or shortening of frames allowed. No holes in the hood. Hood must be kept in place at all times, hoods
may also be pinned for safety reasons. All body sheet metal must be kept in
place at all times.
• Front firewall must be completely sealed.
• No lightening of body components. (hoods and trunk lids may be gutted),
trunk, inner panels, fenders, and roof, except clearance for roll bar
• Dash must be removed and replaced by sheet metal, to closely resemble a stock dash.
• Cars must have complete stock bumpers. Each bumper must have two (2) chains or straps to prevent falling off car.
• All cars must be bilaterally symmetrical.
• Drive shafts must have safety loop or chain located at forward end of drive shaft.
• Drive shaft must be painted white.
• All cars must have a window net. Window net in drivers side window is to be fastened
to the cage not the body!
• All cars are required to paint on/off switch orange and clearly mark.
• One way receiving radios are mandatory at all times while on the track. Those who refuse to listen to in car radio demands will be penalized. Penalty will be decided by officials.
• AMB Transponders are mandatory.
WINDSHIELD, GLASS, AND MIRRORS
• All glass (including headlight, taillights, etc.) must be removed. Front windshield
is to be replaced with metal screen and have two (2) braces (1” wide 1/8″ thick)
in center of windshield.
• No mirrors of any kind.
• Vehicles must be equipped with a roll bar.
• The roll bar must be located directly behind the drivers seat and reach as close
as possible to the roof and to the outside of the car.
• The roll bar must be back braced from the top of the roll bar to the rear car
frame at an approximate 45 degree angle.
• The material used must be 1 3/4″ .900 or 1 ½” x 120 walled mild steel. No pipe
fitting, galvanized pipe, or conduit allowed.
• The roll bar members must attach to the frame and be welded.
• A minimum of three (3) door bars are to be used on each door spaced with two
(2) down bars per door bar.
• It is recommended that all welded areas be gusseted.
• Rear hoop is to extend from the rear of the cage thru the rear of the firewall and
extend to the rear of the car not to exit the car. Two (2) down bars only are
permitted and are to be welded to the frame. A minimum single bar must be
added to protect fuel tank.
• A single front hoop is permitted to run from front down bars of main cage around radiator with three (3) vertical down bars in front of radiator one (1) on
each side and one (1) in middle of radiator with two (2) diagonal bars for support. (Not to extend any further bad than in front of “A” frame.) An additional down bar may be added from the main cage on the drivers side to the frame to
protect the drivers feet as close to the firewall as possible.
• Roll bar installation is subject to inspection by the TECH INSPECTORS.
• No modifying of suspension is permitted. Suspension must be in stock location.
• Suspension parts must remain stock appearing as make and model of car used.
• Stock steering wheel and shaft may be replaced with an aftermarket shaft, but
must be in stock location, NO STEERING QUICKNER MAY BE USED.
• Stock brake and clutch pedals in stock location only NO EXTENTIONS ALLOWED.
• Aftermarket non adjustable type shocks in stock bracket and location only.
• All four (4) corners of frame must measure within one inch of level.
• Stock rear sway bars allowed on coil cars.
• Suspension must work and look stock. No pinching of shocks to stop travel.
• No spring jacks, adjustable spring pockets, blocked shocks, tubular control arms or reverse shackles permitted.
• No steering stabilizers shock absorbers allowed.
•Stock type bushings only. No aftermarket performance bushings.
TIRES and WHEELS
• Tires prescribed by track only.
• Grooving of tires is permitted.
• Only Steel Wheels are allowed (8” maximum width).
• Any offset wheel is allowed as long as it is a maximum of 8” wide. •Push in mud plugs are allowed. No fasteners.
• Must use five (5) one inch lug nuts per wheel.
TRANSMISSIONS and REARS
• Stock type rear and carrier only.
• May lock rears by welding spider gears or by use of mini spool.
• Open Gear
• Stock automatic transmission with stock torque converter only.
• Manual OEM transmissions with stock fly wheel and clutch only,
with mandatory blow proof bell housing with a 2 inch diameter
inspection hole mandatory, at 2 ½ inches from the front mounting
point back, at about 4 or 5 o’clock, looking from the rear. No light weight flywheels or clutches!
Hydraulic throw bearings are allowed.
• Battery must be mounted under hood of car in engine compartment.
• Battery must be securely mounted and covered.
• The engine must be strictly stock for the make of car, and in its original mounts and location.
• No aluminum intakes or heads.
• OEM stock production engine blocks only: 360 cubic inches for Chrysler – 351
cubic inches for Ford and 350 cubic inches for GM- No six (6) cylinders.
• No big blocks
• Flat top or dish pistons only.
• 9:1 maximum compression ratio. Maximum reading on “whistler” 9:4
• Stock stroke with .40 over bore maximum.
• Stock cast iron two (2) barrel intake only. No Single plane intakes. No porting or polishing.
• All engines are subject to having intake and or heads pulled at the track.
• Refusal to pull intake and/or heads will result in automatic disqualification for event and possible suspension.
• Hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifters only.
• Stock oem rocker arms only (no guide plates)
Head studs can be pressed, screwed, or pinned in place.
• Positively no machining, grinding, porting, polishing, etc.
• No aftermarket racing parts of any kind.
• No dual point distributors. Stock type only, no curve kits.
• HEI ignitons – Factory type module only, no circuit boards.
Basically do nothing to engine – should remain stock
• OEM aftermarket aluminum radiators are permitted. Steel fans only.
• Aftermarket pulleys permitted.
• No Hi performance or altered performance cylinder head configurations.
• No antifreeze allowed, water only. No engine oil coolers.
• Any stock production cast iron exhaust manifolds. No headers.
Exhaust pipes cannot exceed 2 1/2” O.D. at any point. Exhaust system may not be longer than ½ the wheel base of the car.
Exhaust must exit behind the driver.
All exhaust must pass through and exit the entire exhaust system. No holes or leaks anywhere in the exhaust system.
Only two (2) pipes, one pipe per side.
• No cross over tubes.
* If cars are deemed too loud, a spec, cost efficient mufflers will need to be installed.
• ONE (1) MANDATORY CARBURETOR: Stock Holley 4412 carburetor
must be used. A stock Mister Gasket adapter plate (# 1937) must be used for GM. Must remain stock in all respects (choke plate may be removed) one (1) stock gasket above and below adaptor plate only.
GAS TANK INSTALLATION
• Stock gas tank must be removed and replaced with a plastic fuel cell (15 gallon maximum) with foam inside.
• Gasoline Only. Race fuel permitted. No ethanol based fuels or any other additives!
• Fuel cell must be installed above trunk floor, in center of trunk as far forward as possible. Must be able to fill from inside trunk. No holes allowed in trunk lid.
• Fuel cell must be secured by four, over the tank (two in each direction) 1 ½” x 1/8” straps.
• Fuel line must exit from top of tank. Any part of fuel line in drivers
compartment must be run thru steel conduit. Trunk floor must be in place.
• A check valve is mandatory in vent line to prevent leakage in case of rollover.
• Installation subject to inspection by Technical Inspector.
• Weight limit is 3200 lbs. with driver. No bolt on weight. Any weight is to be added as an integral part of frame and cage.
• Any car over 3450 lbs is not allowed any added on weight
• Weight to be determined by Big Diamond Scale ONLY.
• Numbers and letters must be a minimum of 18” high on roof and both doors.
Handicapper reserves the right to issue a change to number or letter to prevent duplication and maintain proper records.
• Driver must wear flame resistant uniforms, gloves, and shoes. Flame resistant socks, and underwear are recommended but not required.
• Drivers must wear a Snell SA-2005 helmet or newer. No helmet marked M are permitted.
• Must have a gauge type fire extinguisher fully charged within reach of driver and fully functional.
• Quick release racing safety belt, shoulder harness, and anti submarine belt’s must
be used. Must be 3” nylon. All belts must have a date of manufacture and not be more than three (3) years old. All safety equipment must be used at all
times when the car is on the track or getting ready to go on the track.
• All safety equipment is subject to inspection by Tech Inspector(s).
• Any illegal parts must be turned over to track at time of infraction.
• All points may be lost (from start of season), you will be treated as a
• All moneys owed that night will be forfeited.
• Other monetary fines may be imposed.
• Any of the above ILLEGAL PARTS rules not followed will result in immediate suspension. •Points will be forfeited.
Special Note: Rules may be changed to keep competition equal. Any car that seems to show unfair speed or performance will
be modified to slow it down by Tech Inspector(s).